To paraphrase one of Britain’s many well-known former residents, “though it be but small, it is fierce.” England, Scotland, and Ireland are amazing places with a lot to offer, so on this Valentine’s Day, I’m listing a few reasons why I love them. Feel free to add your own in the comments!
* Amazing shows at the National Theatre in London
* History, history, history!: Castles, ancient stone circles, Roman-era ruins–there’s something for everyone!
* The food: It gets a lot of flack from other countries, but the British isles produce some serious comfort food. Shepherd’s pie, sticky toffee pudding, scones and clotted cream–yes please!
* The Edinburgh Fringe Festival
* Borough Market
* The amazing bright green color of the grass
* The Tube (having grappled with public transport in the U.S., I really, really appreciate this)
* A pint of Guinness at a local pub that’s hundreds of years old
* A real-life royal family
* Black cabs and drivers who know where to find just about anything
* Free museums!
* Buskers in tube stations and Covent Garden
* And, of course, amazing actors, actresses, and television programs that aren’t afraid to push boundaries